Upcoming special program on Oct 18th in Middlebury:
Speaker Program in Middlebury : "Wool Knickers and White Blazes, A 1917 Inspired End-to-End Long Trail Hike" presented by GMC's Executive Director Mike DeBonis on Thurs. October 18th at 7PM.
Have you ever wondered what it was like to hike the Long Trail a hundred years ago? GMC Executive Director Mike DeBonis will tell tales from his 2017 "retro" end-to end hike, celebrating one hundred years of the Long Trail Guidebook. (Click for more details.)
2018 GMC Volunteer Awards presented to David, Nancy & Doug
At the Sept. 22nd Volunteer Appreciation Picnic at GMC headquarters in Waterbury Center, awards were presented to three Bread Loaf volunteers.
David Morrissey received the Trail Blazer Award. "Given to a relatively new GMC volunteer who has taken to their role with great enthusiasm and commitment.”
David has demonstrated his dedication to and love of the trails since he took on his position as Trail Manager for Bread Loaf Section in January 2015. His quiet dependability, organizational skills, attention to detail and time spent arranging work parties with volunteers and Middlebury College have been invaluable to Bread Loaf Section. Not to forget lunches and cookies! Our trail maintenance needs during these past few seasons have been significant.
Nancy Morgan & Doug McKain both received the Roy O. Buchanan 10-Year Volunteer Service Award. This award is given to GMC volunteers who have served for at least 10 continuous years in one or many roles
Congratulations! Well deserved.
Kids in Action! Volunteers helped clean up trails in Middlebury .
On Sunday Sept 30th, our awesome Young Adventurers Club worked with Middlebury Area Land Trust's Jenn Smith & John Derrick to learn about how to do trail clean up work at Wright Park. (photos)
Go to our YAC Facebook page for photos and to read about other Young Adventurers Club activities. (You don't need to be a member of Facebook to see our page.)
Fall Trail Work ~ Scheduled for Saturday, November 3rd
Many trees came down on the LT last winter, many of them significant in size & obscuring the trail, making it hard to follow in several places.
- Please notify GMC or our Trail Manager David Morrissey if you can help or if you encounter trees blocking portions of the trail. Thank you, all our Long Trail volunteers and trail adopters!
- Latest trail reports.
- Trail Work Photos are on our Trail Work page.
- Crosscuts, or larger hand saws, will be brought in to clear the trees because many are in Bread Loaf Wilderness area.
- Also, learn about all GMC volunteer opportunities: GMC Volunteer page.
During the late fall-winter season 2017-18 , the LT had dozens of blowdowns in the Breadloaf Wilderness Area.
See where we've been lately!
- Young Adventurers Club Trail Clean-up Day on the TAM in Middlebury, Sept. 30 (More...)
- Treadway Mountain from Putnam Pond, Pharaoh Lake Wilderness, Sept 29 (Photo album)
- Rattlesnake Cliffs above Lake Dunmore on Sept. 22 (Photo album).
- Snake Mountain in Addison on Aug. 25 (Photo album).
- "Long Trail Day" hike from Midd Gap to Worth Mountain, Aug. 11th (Photo album).
- Hurricane Mt hike in ADK, Aug. 9th (Photo album).
Safety and Trail Updates
To help ensure a safe and fun outdoor experience, we strongly encourage you to read and learn from these online resources before heading outside:
- Safety Reminders including link to Hunting Season dates (on this website)
- GMC's precautions with wildlife
- Long Trail Updates
- Interested in volunteer work on the Long Trail? Go to our Trails page.
ALSO - Find Weather Forecast Websites on our "Safety Reminders" page.
The Bread Loaf Section is the mid-Vermont section of the Green Mountain Club. We are an active group, hosting a variety of activities planned for weekends and some additional events planned for weekdays. Read more about who we are in About Us.