Upcoming winter events
Coming up in February...
James P. Taylor Outdoor Adventure Series
Thursday, February 21, 7:00PM in Middlebury
"From Gletscher to Gipfelkreuze: Exploring the natural and cultural landscapes of the Alps"
Presented by: Jeff & Diane Munroe
Aletsch Glacier in the Alps
*Because of hazardous travel conditions on Jan. 24th, our Section annual meeting was rescheduled to March 14th. We hope you can make this new date! *
Bread Loaf Section 44th Annual Meeting
Rescheduled from Thurs. Jan. 24th
Thursday, March 14th, 6:30-8:30 PM in Middlebury
Business meeting 6:30; Speaker Program at 7:30PM
"Short Legs, Long Trail: Four Summers on the LT"
Join us for our Annual Meeting & program will be held on a new date: March 14th!
Winter hiking: Exhilarating but please stay safe!
- This story was produced by WCAX on December 10, 2018 - "Producers of app aim to cut down on backcountry rescues" (includes a 3-minute video) and interviews with Neil Van Dyke, the state's search and rescue coordinator and GMC's Matt Krebs, operations and publications coordinator.
- To check out the GMC's new digital downloadable maps that don't require cell phone service, click HERE. (Or click on GMC's 'Shop' menu item.) Once there, scroll down to view all available maps. Please note that GMC strongly recommends always having a paper map and compass in the backcountry. Digital devices may fail due to batteries dying, getting wet or broken, etc, and should only be used as an addition to paper maps.
Other recent news of interest...
2018 GMC Volunteer Awards
At the Sept. 22nd Volunteer Appreciation Picnic at GMC headquarters in Waterbury Center, awards were presented to three Bread Loaf volunteers.
David Morrissey received the Trail Blazer Award. "Given to a relatively new GMC volunteer who has taken to their role with great enthusiasm and commitment.”
David has demonstrated his dedication to and love of the trails since he took on his position as Trail Manager for Bread Loaf Section in January 2015. His quiet dependability, organizational skills, attention to detail and time spent arranging work parties with volunteers and Middlebury College have been invaluable to Bread Loaf Section. Not to forget lunches and cookies! Our trail maintenance needs during these past few seasons have been significant.
Nancy Morgan & Doug McKain both received the Roy O. Buchanan 10-Year Volunteer Service Award. This award is given to GMC volunteers who have served for at least 10 continuous years in one or many roles
Congratulations! Well deserved.
Kids in Action! Volunteers helped clean up trails in Middlebury .
On Sunday Sept 30th, our awesome Young Adventurers Club worked with Middlebury Area Land Trust's Jenn Smith & John Derrick to learn about how to do trail clean up work at Wright Park.
Go to our YAC Facebook page for photos and to read about other Young Adventurers Club activities. (You don't need to be a member of Facebook to see our page.)
Safety and Trail Updates
To help ensure a safe and fun outdoor experience, we strongly encourage you to read and learn from these online resources before heading outside:
- Safety Reminders including link to Hunting Season dates (on this website)
- GMC's precautions with wildlife
- Long Trail Updates
- Interested in volunteer work on the Long Trail? Go to our Trails page.
ALSO - Find Weather Forecast Websites on our "Safety Reminders" page.
The Bread Loaf Section is the mid-Vermont section of the Green Mountain Club. We are an active group, hosting a variety of activities planned for weekends and some additional events planned for weekdays. Read more about who we are on our About page.