The Bread Loaf Section is the mid-Vermont section of the Green Mountain Club. We are an active group, hosting a variety of activities planned for weekends and some additional events planned for weekdays. Read more about who we are in About the Section.
Details for all events are on our calendar. Non-members are always welcome at outings and events.
Bread Loaf's Fall (Sept. - Nov.) newsletter is online!
- Upcoming special events:
- Annual Labor Day Potluck Social and Corn Roast Monday, Sept. 3rd in Middlebury
- Speaker Program in Middlebury: "Wool Knickers and White Blazes, A 1917 Inspired End-to-End Long Trail Hike" presented by GMC's Executive Director Mike DeBonis on Thurs. October 18th at 7PM
- Check our YAC Facebook page for our latest Young Adventurers Club happenings.
See where we've been lately! Current photos of latest activities
- Snake Mountain in Addison on Aug 25 (Photo album)
- GMC's newest event "Long Trail Day" was Saturday, August 11th - Photo album
- Hurricane Mt hike in ADK on Aug 9th - Photo album
Fall Trail Work ~ Scheduled for Saturday, November 3rd
Many trees came down on the LT last winter, many of them significant in size & obscuring the trail, making it hard to follow in several places.
- Latest trail reports.
- Trail Work Photos are on our Trail Work page.
- Crosscuts, or larger hand saws, will be brought in to clear the trees because many are in Bread Loaf Wilderness area.
- Please notify GMC or our Trail Manager David Morrissey if you encounter trees blocking portions of the trail. Thank you, all our Long Trail volunteers and trail adopters! Contact David re: additional trail work days later this summer.
- Also, learn about all GMC volunteer opportunities: GMC Volunteer page.
Safety and Trail Updates
To help ensure a safe and fun outdoor experience, we strongly encourage you to read and learn from these online resources before heading outside:
- Safety Reminders including link to Hunting Season dates (on this website)
- GMC's precautions with wildlife
- Long Trail Updates
- Interested in volunteer work on the Long Trail? Go to our Trails page.
ALSO - Find Weather Forecast Websites on our "Safety Reminders" page.